On Saturday, October 17th, the Rideau Branch of the Ottawa Public Library, commonly known as the first bilingual public library in North America, will be celebrating its 75th anniversary. Opened by Prime Minister Borden in 1934, the branch recently re-opened after extensive renovations and structural repairs, and was described in yesterday’s Citizen as “lighter and better organized […] now.”
Here’s the schedule for the day:
- 10:30 a.m.: Tour of art featured in branch (in English)
- 11 h 15: Visite guidée de l’art exposé dans la succursale (en français)
- 2 p.m. / 14 h: Magic show with Ian Quick / Spectacle de magie avec Ian Quick (40 minutes)
- 3 p.m. / 15 h: Official cake cutting / Coupe du gâteau d’anniversaire.
On-going events during the day:
- 10 a.m – 4 p.m. / 10 h à 16 h: Animal balloon making with ‘Brad the Balloon Guy’ / Création d’animaux en ballons avec ‘Brad, façonneur de ballons’
- 12 noon – 4:30 p.m. / 12 h à 16 h 30: Heritage tours of the branch / Visites guidées des aspects historiques de la succursale (15 minutes)
In Rideau’s honour, we will be posting a fact a day every day next week about the branch’s history and opening!